Influence and inspire powerful learning experiences
The world of instructional design is one that combines the science of learning with the art of design. Those working within this field must not only have a deep understanding of how people learn, but also understand the best ways to communicate knowledge to a broad audience. This type of knowledge allows instructional designers to improve education, training and development for learners of all kinds, across all industries.
Results-driven instructional design education
Our Doctor of Education (EdD) in Instructional Design program will help students gain the skills they need to develop and manage complex design projects. This includes hands-on experience working with subject matter experts and learning how to utilize popular authoring tools to create powerful learning experiences. Upon graduation students will understand how to design and develop learning environments for government, business, military, and K-12 and higher education applications. They will also be prepared to take on leadership roles, including leading teams, working with stakeholders and bringing projects from conception through completion.
This program was created by experienced professionals to help guide students on how to apply their knowledge to solve real-world problems. Students will cover a range of advanced topics, including leadership, research, contemporary instructional design, and the design and development of simulations and gaming solutions. Additionally, our program aligns with established instructional design competencies including those set forth by the International Board of Standards for Training, Performance and Improvement© (ibstpi), the Association for Talent Development (ATD) and the Association for Educational Communication and Technology (AECT).
Earn your Doctor of Education in Instructional DesignAt Northcentral University you can complete your entire degree program online, with courses that start every week. This empowers you to move forward on your goals when it’s right for you instead of waiting for a new semester to begin. We also have no residency requirements, no GRE/GMAT requirements and no group projects. This allows you to earn your degree from anywhere and move at the pace that’s right for you.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Manage complex design processes and products collaboratively with diverse stakeholders
- Interpret leadership theories for their relevance in solving instructional and training problems
- Evaluate technologies used in instructional and training solutions
- Synthesize different principles, theories, and analyses for design projects
- Construct strategies to address ethical, legal, and political factors influencing instructional and training solutions
- Improve professional practice of instructional design
- Instructional Coordinators
- Instructional Designers and Technologists
- Training and Development Managers
- Education Administrators, Elementary and Secondary School
- Education Administrators, Postsecondary
- Education Administrators, All Other
- Distance Learning Coordinators
- Training and Development Specialists
- Education Teachers, Postsecondary
- Postsecondary Teachers, All Other
Program at a Glance
Total Credit Hours: 54 Credit Hours
Courses: 18 Courses
Recommended Completion Time: 35 Months
Next Start Date: Every Monday
Classroom Size: One