Areas of Expertise:
- General Biology
- Cell Biology
- Ph.D., UC San Diego School of Medicine, La Jolla, CA
Ventricular dyskinesis induced loss of contractile function and epicardial inflammation: Role of cellular adhesion molecules
Research Areas of Interest:
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Mitochondrial Biology
- Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury
- Yamazaki KG, Romero-Perez D, Barraza-Hidalgo M, Cruz M, Rivas M, Cortez-Gomez B, Ceballos G, Villarreal F. Short-and long-term effects of (-)-epicatechin on myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury. Am J Physiol, 295(2):H761-7, 2008.
- Yamazaki KG, Taub PR, Barraza-Hidalgo M, Rivas MM, Zambon AC, Ceballos G, Villarreal FJ. Effects of (-)-epicatechin on myocardial infarct size and left ventricular remodeling after permanent coronary occlusion. J Am Coll Cardiol 55(25):2869-76, 2010.
- Yamazaki KG, Villarreal FJ. Epicardial ventricular pacing induced loss of contractile function and development of inflammation. Am J Physiol Heart 300(4):H1282-90, 2011.
- Yamazaki KG. Ihm SH, Thomas RL, Roth D, Villarreal F. Cell adhesion molecule mediation of myocardial inflammatory responses associated with ventricular pacing. Am J Physiol Heart 302(7):H1387-93, 2012.
- Yamazaki KG, Gonzalez E*, Zambon A. Crosstalk between the Renin-Angiotensin System and the Advance Glycation End Product Axis in the Heart: Role of the Cardiac Fibroblast. J Cardiovasc Transl Res 5(6):805-13, 2012
- Raskin A, Lange S, Banares K, Lyon RC, Zieseniss A, Lee LK, Yamazaki KG, Granzier HL, Gregorio CC, McCulloch AD, Omens JH, Sheikh F. A novel mechanism involving four-and-a half
- LIM domain protein-1 and extracellular signal-regulated kinase-2 regulates titin phosphorylation and mechanics. J Biol Chem 287(35):29273-84, 2012.
- Yamazaki KG, Andreyev A, Ortiz-Vilchis P, Petrosyan S, Divakaruni AS, Wiley SE, De La Fuente C*., Perkins G, Ceballos G, Villarreal F, Murphy A. Intravenous (-)-epicatechin reduces myocardial ischemic injury by protecting mitochondrial function. Int J Cardiol. 2014 May 15. pii: S0167-5273(14)00992-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2014.05.009. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ortiz-Vilchis P, Yamazaki KG, Rubio-Gayosso I, Ramirez-Sanchez I, Calzada C, Meaney E, Villarreal F, Ceballos G. Co-administration of flavanol (-)-epicatechin with doxycycline synergistically reduces infarct size in a model of ischemia reperfusion by inhibition of the mitochondrial permeability transition pore. Eur J Pharmacol. 2014 Dec 5;744:76-82. doi: 10.1016/j.ejphar.2014.09.042. Epub 2014 Oct 2.
- Lopez, V*., Yamazaki KG, DeLeon RD. Cardiovascular abnormalities in a rodent model of Type 2 diabetes and spinal cord injury. Manuscript submitted to Journal of Neurotrauma.
- Yamazaki KG, White M, Porter J. Myotonic Dystrophy Family Registry (MDFR): Patient-Reported Burden of Disease Study for Myotonic Dystrophy Type 1 and 2. Manuscript submitted to Journal of Muscle and Nerve.
Select Professional Experience:
Professor: 2011 – present
- Research Responsibilities - interests in the area of cardiovascular metabolism.
- Implement in vivo and in vitro models of diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Mentor students on the experimental design of their research
- Write animal and IRB protocols
- Prepare manuscripts and presentations
- Teaching Responsibilities
- Lower division BIOL courses – General Biology, Human Anatomy and Physiology, Physiology for Biomedical Engineering
- Upper division BIOL courses – Integrative Human Physiology I and II, Basic Pathology, Endocrinology
- Service Responsibilities
- Department committees – Program Assessment Committee, Instructional Affairs Committee, Strategic Planning Committee
- College committees - College Resources Committee
- University committees - IACUC committee
Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation Undergraduate and Graduate Program Director
- Program Management Responsibilities
- Write outcome reports
- Manage grant/program budgets
- Programmatic development
- Communicate with State and Federal Agencies regarding Program oversight