Areas of Expertise:
- Public Policy
- Public Administration
- Climate Policy
- Sustainable Urban Design
- Design Technology
- Ph.D., Law and Public Policy, Northeastern University, Boston, MA
- M.B.A., Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
- M.Arch., University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
- B.A, Mathematics, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR
- Green building policy and capital investment decision-making: A grounded theory study
Research Areas of Interest:
- Environmental justice
- Climate policy
- Behavioral response to public policy
Certifications and /or licenses:
- 2009-2016- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accreditation
- 2005-2016 - Architectural Practice License
- Hoffer, Erin. (2020). “Dynamics of climate regulation: a grounded theory study of the real estate industry” International Conference on Social and Education Sciences.
- Hoffer, Erin. (2020). “Case-based teaching: using stories for engagement and inclusion” International Conference on Social and Education Sciences.
- Hoffer, Erin. (2015). “Green Building Policy and Real Estate Development: A Causal Mapping Study Derived from Qualitative Data.” Proceedings of the International Conference of the System Dynamics Society 2015.
- Hoffer, E. R. (2014). “Architecture as Interface.” in Follett, J. (Ed.) Designing for Emerging Technologies. Sebastopol, CA. O’Reilly Media.
- Hoffer, E. R. and Middlebrooks, R. (2012). “Accelerating Sustainable Design for Green Office Retrofits. “ in Ed. Tobias, L., & Vavaroutsos, G. Retrofitting office buildings to be green and energy-efficient: Optimizing building performance, tenant satisfaction, and financial return. Chicago. Urban Land Institute.
Selected Professional Experience:
- 2015-2017 Co-chair, Architecture + Real Estate Committee, Boston Society of Architects
- 2013-2016 Member - Urban Land Institute, Building Owners and Managers Association, CoreNet Global, International Facilities Management Association
- 2012-2016 Board Member, Council on Finance, Insurance, and Real Estate for High-Performance Buildings, National Institute of Building Science
- 2011-2014 Member of AIA’s National Codes and Standards Committee
- 2010-2015 Co-chair, Building Systems Committee, Boston Society of Architects
- 2006-2016, Senior Industry Program Manager, Autodesk
- 2006-2007 Boston Society Architects Board Member
- 2004-2005 Technology Commissioner and Board Member, Boston Society of Architects
- 2002-2006 Executive Vice-president, Boston Architectural College,
- 2001-2002, Product Manager, ArsDigita,
- 1998-2016 Member, American Association of University Women
- 1996-1998 Director of I/T Competency, Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
- 1990-2016 Member, American Institute of Architects (AIA)