Areas of Expertise:
- Research methods
- Academic writing and publication
- PhD in Higher Education Administration – Aviation Higher Education Specialization, University of Nebraska – Lincoln, Lincoln, NE
- MS in Aeronautical Science – Operations Specialization, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU), Daytona Beach, FL
- BS in Aviation Management, Auburn University, Auburn, AL
- Pathways to the aviation professoriate: An investigation into the attributes and backgrounds of professional pilot education faculty
Research Areas of Interest:
- Academic integrity (plagiarism and contract cheating)
- Aviation operations
- Statistical procedures and analyses in research
Certifications and /or licenses:
- Certificate in Data Science – IBM
- Federal Aviation Administration: Airline Transport Pilot (Multi-engine), Commercial Pilot (Single Engine Land & Sea), Instrument – Airplane, Certified Flight Instructor (Instrument and Multi-engine), Basic and Advanced Ground Instructor, Aircraft Dispatcher
- Ison, D. (2020). Statistical procedures for evaluating trends in coronavirus disease-19 in the United States . International Journal of Health Sciences, 14(5), 23-31. Retrieved from https://ijhs.org.sa/index.php/journal/article/view/5233
- Ison, D. C. (2020). Detection of online contract cheating through stylometry: A pilot study. Online Learning, 24(2), 142-165.
- Ison, D. C. (2020). Empirical analysis of trends in runway incursions in the United States from 2001 to 2017. Journal of Aviation Technology and Engineering, 9(1), 2.
- Ison, D. C. (2020). Analysis of runway incursion trends: Implications for cost-benefit analysis of mitigation investments. International Journal of Aviation, Aeronautics, and Aerospace, 7(1), 2.
- Ison, D. C. (2018). Teaching the Next Generation of Researchers: An Inquiry into Aviation Research Education. Journal of Aviation Technology and Engineering, 7(2), 4.
- McCooey, S., & Ison, D. (2017). Female Cabin Crew Radiation Exposure and Cancer Development: A Cross-Study Inquiry. International Journal of Professional Aviation Training & Testing Research, 9(1).
- Ison, D. C. (2017). Mitigating Nonresponse Error in Online Surveys Through Research-based Design and Delivery. Survey Practice, 10(2).
- Ison, D. C., Herron, R., & Weiland, L. (2016). Two Decades of Progress for Minorities in Aviation. Journal of Aviation Technology and Engineering, 6(1), 4.
- Ison, D. (2017). Academic Misconduct and the Internet. In Handbook of Research on Academic Misconduct in Higher Education (pp. 82-111). IGI Global.
- Ison, D. C., & Szathmary, K. J. (2016). Assessing Academic Integrity Using SafeAssign Plagiarism Detection Software. Collegiate Aviation Review, 34(1).
- Ison, D. C., McAndrew, I., Weiland, L. & Moran, K. (2015). Air Traffic Management principle based development of an airport arrival delay prediction model. Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education & Research 24(2), 39-53.
- Terwilliger, B., Vincenzi, D., & Ison, D. (2015). Unmanned Aerial Systems: Collaborative innovation to support emergency response. Journal of Unmanned Systems, 3(2), 31-34. doi 10.1139/juvs-2015-0004
- Terwilliger, B., Vincenzi, D., Ison, D., Witcher, K., Thirtyacre, D., & Khalid, A. (2015). Influencing factors for use of Unmanned Aerial Systems in support of aviation accident and Emergency Response. Journal of Automation and Control Engineering 3(3), 246- 252.
- Vincenzi, D. A., Terwilliger, B. A., & Ison, D. C. (2015). Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) human-machine interfaces: New paradigms in command and control. Procedia Manufacturing, 3, 920-927.
- Mowry, C., & Ison, D. C. (2015). Assessing computer vision syndrome risk for pilots. Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education & Research 24(2), 79-121.
- Ison, D. C. (2015). The influence of the Internet on plagiarism among doctoral dissertations: An empirical study. Journal of Academic Ethics, 13(1). doi 10.1007/s10805-015-9233-7
- Ison, D. C. (2014). Does the online environment promote plagiarism? A comparative study of dissertations from brick-and-mortar versus online institutions. MERLOT Journal of Online Learning and Teaching, 10(2), 272-281.
- Ison, D. C. (2014). Correlates of continued visual flight rules (VFR) into instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) general aviation accidents. Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education and Research, 24(1), article 1.
- Wagener, F., & Ison, D. C. (2014). Crew Resource Management application in commercial aviation. Journal of Aviation Technology and Engineering, 3(2), 1.
- Terwilliger, B. A., & Ison, D. (2014). Implementing low cost two-person supervisory control for small Unmanned Aerial Systems. Journal of Unmanned Vehicle Systems.
- Khalid, A., Terwilliger, B., Coppola, A., Marion, J., Ison, D., Shepherd, A., & Sanders, B. (2014). Real World Design Challenge (RWDC)–An overview. Advanced Materials Research, 902, 437-447.
- Ison, D. C., Terwilliger, B. A., & Vincenzi, D. A. (2013). Designing simulation to meet UAS training needs. In Human Interface and the Management of Information. Information and Interaction for Health, Safety, Mobility and Complex Environments (pp. 585 595). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Ison, D. C. (2012). Plagiarism among dissertations: Prevalence at online institutions. Journal of Academic Ethics, 10(3). 227-236. doi 10.1007/s10805-012-9165-4
- Ison, D. (2011). Aircraft dispatcher (ADX) oral exam guide. Seattle, WA: Aviation Supplies & Academics, Inc.
- Ison, D. (2011). An analysis of statistical power in aviation research. International Journal of Applied Aviation Studies, 11(1).
- Ison, D. (2011). Higher education professional pilot faculty qualifications – Are the stakes rising? International Journal of Professional Aviation Training & Testing Research, 5(1).
- Ison, D. (2011). Development and validation of an aviation research survey. Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education and Research, 20(3).
- Ison, D. (2010). Instrument pilot course syllabi: A content analysis. Collegiate Aviation Review, 28(2)
- Ison, D. (2010). Why teach aviation? A snapshot of the motivations and influences associated with the careers of professional pilot program faculty. Collegiate Aviation Review, 28(1)
- Ison, D. (2010). Mitigating online survey nonresponse error in aviation research. Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education and Research, 19(4).
- Ison, D. (2010). The future of women in aviation: Trends in participation in postsecondary aviation education. Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education and Research, 19(3).
- Ison, D. (2009). Pathways to the aviation professoriate: An investigation into the attributes and backgrounds of professional pilot education faculty. Collegiate Aviation Review, 27(2).
- Ison, D. (2009). Have we made progress? Trends in minority participation in postsecondary aviation education. Collegiate Aviation Review, 27(1).
- Ison, D. C. (2008). The status of women faculty in four-year aviation higher education programs. Journal of Women in Educational Leadership, 6(3), 201.
Select Professional Experience:
- Editor of International Journal of Online Graduate Education
- Previously editor of two other publications
- Reviewer for multiple publications
- Author of three books with ASA Publications
- Just under 20 years of higher education teaching experience in aviation, graduate research, and writing
- Past president, University Aviation Association
- Previous MS in Aeronautical Science program chair (ERAU)
- Previous IRB member (ERAU)