Areas of Expertise:
- Criminal Justice
- Homeland Security
- Emergency Management
- Criminal Investigations
- Organizational Continuity and Resilience
- PhD in Criminal Justice with a Concentration in Homeland Security; Liberty University, Lynchburg, VA
- EdD with research concentrating in security education and ethics; Northeastern University, Boston, MA
- MBA, Business and Campus Security; Northcentral University, Prescott, AZ
- MS, Emergency Management; Jacksonville State University, Jacksonville, AL
- PhD Dissertation: EXAMINING THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN CRIME AND MAJOR WEATHER EVENTS AND DISASTERS IN THE 10 LARGEST CITIES IN TEXAS
- EdD Dissertation: ETHICS STUDIES IN GRADUATE LEVEL ORGANIZATIONAL SECURITY MANAGEMENT PROGRAMS: DEVELOPMENT OF A GROUNDED THEORY
Research Areas of Interest:
- Disaster Crime
- Disaster Policing
- Security Management
Certifications and /or licenses
- Certified Protection Professional
• Lee, S. & Augusto, D. (2022). Crime in the new U.S. epicenter of COVID-19. Crime Prevention & Community Safety.
• Augusto, D. (2021). Strengthening Disaster Response Through Analysis of Crime During Hurricane Ike. Journal of Homeland Security and Emergency Management.
• Pollock, L. D. & Augusto, D. (2021). Protecting others, compassion, and sacrifice: The toll of disaster policing on law enforcement officers in the United States. The Police Journal.
• Augusto, D. (2021). Change-point analysis of Houston crime during Hurricane Harvey. Journal of Applied Security Research, 16(1), 1-18.
• Augusto, D. (2021). Inner group conflict in a federal law enforcement agency. Christus Cultura - Journal of Christianity in the Social Sciences, 3(1). Retrieved from https://www.shorter.edu/christuscultura/.
• Augusto, D., Pollock, E., & Flick, S. (2020). The push of disasters and pull of pandemics: Law Enforcement Officers' perspectives on crime and policing during disasters and the COVID-19 Pandemic. International Public Safety Association Journal, 5(1), 1-37. Retrieved from https://www.joinipsa.org/resources/IPSA%20Journal/IPSA%20Journal%20Fifth....
• Augusto, D. & Gagliano, J. (2020). Shared themes in violent jihad and cultural jihad: Considerations for the intelligence community. International Journal of Security Studies, 2(1), 1-28. Retrieved from https://digitalcommons.northgeorgia.edu/ijoss/.
• Augusto, D. (2020). A Christian perspective on police body worn cameras and related theories: A case study of Houston, Texas. Christus Cultura - Journal of Christianity in the Social Sciences, 2(1), 25-36. Retrieved from https://www.shorter.edu/wp-content/uploads/Christus-Cultura-2nd-Publication-Final.pdf.
Select Professional Experience:
Highlights of Practical Law Enforcement/Criminal Justice Experience
- 22 years of law enforcement including positions as patrol officer and supervisor, SWAT member, K9 handler and supervisor, Air Marshal, federal Criminal Investigator (Special Agent) and Assistant Special Agent in Charge of several nationwide federal law enforcement programs.
- Supervised nationwide federal agency liaisons as the Special Agent in Charge of an OIG Headquarters Liaison Division. Managed Special Agents serving as National Liaison Officers to 50 federal agencies, including the FBI, DHS, and INTERPOL.
Highlights of Instructional Experience
- More than 13 years of experience developing and teaching online doctoral, graduate, and undergraduate courses in criminal justice and homeland security programs. Developed and teach criminal justice graduate capstone course and projects. Also serve as doctoral dissertation advisor.
- Developed and/or taught more than 40 sections of 10 unique doctoral, graduate, or undergraduate courses in homeland security, criminal justice, security management, crisis response, terrorism, and emergency management using several academic platforms.
- Developed and delivered training to federal law enforcement officers in 10 states regarding active shooter response and use of force.
Highlights of Practical Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness Experience
- More than 14 years of experience as a federal Agent conducting joint anti-terrorism/homeland security operations and investigations in two federal agencies.
- Wrote agency wide homeland security policy and co-authored official reports to the U.S. Congress regarding law enforcement and homeland security matters.