Areas of Expertise:
- K-12: Teacher Education
- Curriculum and Development
- English/Language Arts
- Visual Literacy
- Ph.D., The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- M.A., The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- B.A., The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Graphic Novels in Advanced ELA Classrooms: A Phenomenological Case Study
- Gillenwater, C. (2014). Reading images: The phenomenon of intertextuality and how it may contribute to developing visual literacy with Advanced Placement English/language arts students. Journal of Ethnographic & Qualitative Research, 8(4), 251-263.
- Gillenwater, C. (2009). Lost literacy: How graphic novels can recover visual literacy in the literacy classroom. Afterimage, 37(2), 33-36.
Selected Professional Experience:
- Adjunct Professor - Northcentral University
- Senior Educational Consultant - LearningStone
- Middle School Language Arts Teacher