Northcentral University is pleased to announce the names of eight new students who were chosen as recipients of a $20,000 NCU Kick-Starter Grant to launch their dreams upon completion of their NCU master’s or doctoral degree program.
Grant recipients were selected on their essay submissions which described the purpose and motivations behind their dream goal and how the grant would help them achieve it. Students from all of NCU’s three Schools - Business and Technology Management, Education, and Social and Behavioral Sciences - submitted essay entries.
The eight grant recipients, their program of study and the description of their dream goals are:
- Patricia Hansen, Doctor of Business Administration candidate: Design a certification program for business owners/managers that standardizes skills for effective management.
- William Hancock, Doctor of Philosophy in Business candidate: Establish a non-profit to help convicts avoid recidivism by providing them with housing, education and counseling assistance.
- Tanisha Smith, Doctor of Business Administration candidate: Establish a 501(c)3 non-profit for the hearing impaired to raise awareness of the benefits and availability of cochlear implants.
- Krystin Mavity, Doctor of Philosophy in Education candidate: Start an alternative career center for young adults seeking different pathways to careers, instead of a four-year college.
- Peter Hunt, Master of Education candidate: Start a language school for business professionals and ESL (English as a Second Language) students to study English, Arabic, Chinese and Russian.
- Eugene Clancy, Master of Education candidate: Establish a scholarship to help veterans transition to civilian life.
- Mary Jane Symkovkiak, Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy candidate: Author a series of picture books for grade school-aged readers that address events and issues that can disrupt families.
- Patricia Zimmerman, Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology candidate: Establish a support center for women that helps reduce recidivism by providing former inmates access to counseling and education.
Congratulations to all the Kick-Starter Grant recipients.
To all who applied, we appreciate your participation and hope you will continue to pursue your dreams.