Kelley Walters, PhD
Dr. Kelley Walters has over twenty years of educational experience ranging from the K12 classroom and Elementary Principal to graduate level teaching and higher education administration. Dr. Walters is the Director of Curriculum Development of Northcentral University’s School of Education, which was created in 2004. In addition, Dr. Walters serves as an education consultant, as Contributing Editor for Young Children (NAEYC), and as reviewer for a plethora of peer reviewed journals.
Dr. Walters’ primary research interests include literacy strategies and instruction, online teaching and learning, college level writing, and faculty and distance learning instructional practices. She is the author of several articles and chapters including: The Genre of Instructor Feedback in Doctoral Programs: A Corpus Linguistic Analysis; An Evaluation of Student Outcomes by Course Duration in Online Higher Education Distance Learning Courses: A Survey of Activities and Assignments; and Online Course Activities: A Survey of Assignment and Assessment Types. She is currently working on a research project entitles: The Impact of a Writing Readiness Initiative on Student Retention, Persistence, and Success.
In addition to Dr. Walters’ publications, she has given professional and community presentations for a variety of organizations, including the National Reading Conference, International Reading Association, Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy, and the International Learning Conference. She has been awarded Walden University’s Presidential Research Fellowship, Walden University’s 2012 Presidential Award of Faculty Excellence, and Kappa Delta Pi’s Teacher of Honor Award. She was also nominated for Laureate International University’s Global Service Award in Collaboration.
Dr. Walters has a Ph.D. in Reading and Language Arts from Oakland University, a master’s degree in Reading from Eastern Michigan University, and a bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education from Michigan State University. She holds teaching certificates in online teaching and elementary education, and endorsements in science, social studies, and early childhood.
Area of Expertise:
- Online Teaching and Learning
- Higher Education
- Adult Learning
- Ph.D., Oakland University
- M.A., Eastern Michigan University
- B.A., Michigan State University
Guided reading in first grade: the enacted and instructional discourse of three teachers
- “The Genre of Instructor Feedback in Doctoral Programs: A Corpus Linguistic Analysis,” International Journal on e-Learning, 2014
- “Evaluation of Student Outcomes by Course Duration in Online Higher Education,” Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration, 2013
- “Online Course Activities: A Survey of Assignments and Assessment Types,” in Learning Management Systems and Instructional Design: Metrics, Standards, Applications, 2013
- “Distance Learning Courses: A Survey of Activities and Assignments,” in Learning Management Systems Technologies and Software Solutions for Online Teaching: Tools and Applications, (2010)
Selected Professional Experience:
- Program Director for Ed.D. Programs, Walden University
- Program Evaluation Instructor, Argosy University
- Reading Instructor, Rochester College
- Principal, North Branch Area Schools